Aren’t hobbies wonderful.
Hobbies give us an opportunity to pursue interests outside of what we usually do. They give a break and usually allow us to be creative. If you’re lucky, your hobby can put a little cash in your pocket. For example, I know a guy who draws blueprints for tiny houses as a hobby and sells they to builders. I may be busy, but I have some hobbies of my own. I’ll tell you about 5.
1. Candle-making – I love candles. So what better way to get my candle fix than by making them on my own. There is even a supplier in my area. How awesome is that? I love mixing colors and making little candles as party favors. Not that I’m super all-natural organic girl, but I prefer making candles from soy wax. They don’t leave as much soot when they burn.
2. Calligraphy – I have horrible handwriting. I got my first D ever in handwriting. People would joke that I was going to be a doctor one day because of how horrible it is. So I took up calligraphy thinking it would improve my handwriting. It didn’t. But I can do awesome calligraphy when I put my mind to it. There are calligraphy guilds all across the country. If you’re ever interested in learning, you should join.
3. Reading – I love to read. And with the advent of the Kindle, no need to carry around books. I usually read books on psychology, self improvement and sometimes manga.
4. TV – I actually need to cut down on this hobby. Thank God for DVR. That way I can record my favorite shows and when I’m done getting everybody settled I can watch my shows in peace. Usually I wait until the end of the week and watch my shows then. Where was DVR when I was a kid?
5. Cooking – I can honestly admit I love to cook. I think I like the experimentation that comes with cooking. There have been massive successes and epic failures when I have tried new recipes. But that’s part of the fun. I especially like to cook for the big holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas. That’s usually when I will try to break out a new recipe. Hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Now that you know my hobbies, what are some of yours? Be sure to drop comments below.